Saturday, July 8, 2017

Pitch Wars 2017

Pitch Wars is back! 

I am SO ready!


Here's what my story is about: 
Today's white supremacists aren't in white sheets. They look you in the eye and swear they aren't racists. They just want their own homeland, and a ban on immigration, and on Muslims. They intentionally mask their hatred with code words. They make a concerted effort to come off as rational and educated. They hate non-whites, non-Christians, LGBTQ, and women, especially feminists. Yet they are starting to become mainstream in our country. After the election, after the Southern Poverty Law Center reported a rise in hate groups, after said hate groups went on Twitter to claim this election was proof of their ascendancy, I put aside my WIP and started writing a YA Contemporary about a seventeen-year old boy raised by a family of white nationalists. I've been writing steadily, I've got some terrific critique partners, I've been editing for the past two months, and I'm ready. Not that I'm counting, but I think this might be my fourth attempt at Pitch Wars. During this time, I've met a great community of writers and I've written five books! So, yay!

My Pitch:
In THE STRAW MAN FALLACY, seventeen-year old Asher, son of an alt-right terrorist, must choose family loyalty or come to grips with the fact that his life has been based on ignorance and lies. 

The day his front door was broken down by federal agents was the worst day of Asher’s life. “Don’t let them brainwash you,” were his father’s last words before they took him away in handcuffs. Asher vows to keep his father’s white nationalist organization alive. But that’s hard to do when his new guardian, an aunt he’s never met, throws him into a school full of the people his dad called “snowflakes.” Asher’s racist, sexist upbringing is immediately challenged when he meets Angelica, an African-American girl who bests him in every class.

Despite his promise to his father, Asher keeps quiet about his beliefs in his new school. As he develops friendships with students of various backgrounds, his confidence in his parents’ “truth” falters. Asher’s father continues to exert control over his disciples from prison, and everyone expects Asher to pick up the mantle and carry on his family’s work. Asher doesn’t want to give up his new life, his friends, or his shot at college. But *nobody* leaves White Pride, especially not the leader’s son. Asher must break free from his father and his paranoid adherents, or fall back into his old life of preparation for Armageddon. 

Here's a little about me: Introvert, politics junkie, mom, reader, oil painter, walker, occasional runner, podcast listener, audiologist, lover of old homes who lives in a ranch because she wanted a bigger kitchen. I earned my BFA from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn NY. I got my Master's in audiology from The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. (Albuquerque and Brooklyn are two of my favorite places in the world).

Holder of dead-end jobs in her twenties. (The nice thing about dead end jobs is that there's no money in them, so it's okay to quit to travel the world with your savings.)

Audiologist in her thirties. (I love having a job that directly helps people. Every day I made someone's life better in some way because of my skill set. What a high).

Indie author in her forties. (I couldn't find an agent for two novels I wrote in my thirties. I self-published my second novel on Amazon and it sold 25,000 copies in ten months. Two other novels, mysteries, each sold 20,000 copies in their first year.)

Now, I'd like to be published traditionally. I've been writing and querying four different books for the past four or five years, but so far I haven't been picked up. I'm hopeful my latest will be my breakthrough novel.

If you pick me...

I'm a very hard-worker. I will always give you 100%.  I'm also a fast writer, and I have amazing people in my life who will help me juggle everything around so I can devote myself to Pitch War revisions. I'm dedicated to my writing and, thanks to four years of art school, I can handle criticism. In fact, when a critique resonates with me, there is nothing I love more than digging back into my manuscript and making big changes.


And here is a link to our #pimpmybio host, Lana Pattinson, and other Pitch War hopefuls. Check them out!  http://www.lanapattinson.com/pitch-wars-2017-pimpmybio-contestant-blog-hop/







No comments:

Post a Comment